Wednesday, September 5, 2012

First Day of 4 Year Old Preschool


Alex could barely wait to start school...to see his friends, to be with his new teacher, Mrs. Gooden, to be in his new classroom--any of it--he was just so excited!

He kept asking how many days until school starts, so we made a countdown.
Here he is the morning of the first day--he ripped off the LAST page!  Today is THE day!
For any BIG event, we measure how tall the kids are on the door frame of the laundry room.
Alex thinks this is super cool!
From my finger to the tip of the pencil is how much he has grown since last year when he started his first year of preschool--a little over 4 inches!!!  WOW!
He wants to be a farmer when he grows up--surprise, surprise!


Nana was visiting, so she got to see Alex's classroom after his first day.  He wanted her to sit in a locker like he was!
Alex's new teacher, Mrs. Gooden and his friend Natalie
Mrs. Gooden and Ms. Cheryl with Alex
Not only was Alex excited, but I have to say this year I was full of emotion.  As president of the preschool's board AND a mommy, I have ridden on quite a roller coaster over the past nine months. The preschool has been through a lot since January 2012...illness of longtime director, many days of absences due to sickness, inconsistency in the classroom, need and desire for evolution within the classroom, death of our director, interview process, hiring, transition--all this within a small community.

I was emotional on the first day of school and it wasn't just because of Alex.  It was because the board worked hard, prayed, stuck together, was willing to make hard decisions and hired the RIGHT person to take Busy Hands into the future.  I was emotional for the children and for the future children that will enter those hallways and embark on a journey of learning, making new friends, and learning life's lessons.  I am thankful for God's guidance, for the lessons learned over time and for the new friends I have made along this journey. The preschool is in good hands and I am now confident that every thing is going to be alright!

No comments:

Post a Comment